We Resolved All Types of Child Support Issues
Queens, NY Child Support Arrears Lawyer
How to Collect Child Support in Arrears
Child support arrears are an issue that affects both parents. Custodial parents may have a problem getting the child support payments they are owed to financially take care of children. Noncustodial parents may fall behind or completely stop paying their child support obligations for a variety of reasons, such as a job loss or other serious economic problem. If you need legal help rectifying a child support issue in Queens, you can turn to the Law Offices of Donald Mastrodomenico, P.C. Our firm practices divorce and family law exclusively; that means we are extremely skilled in this field since it is our only practice area. Furthermore, we have over 100 years of combined experience of legal experience.
How are Child Support Arrears Handled in New York?
A Child Support Enforcement program has been established in New York which has authority to implement a variety of procedures to enforce the payment of child support arrears. These procedures include both administrative procedures and court procedures. The administrative procedures used to collect overdue child support payments are called Income Execution and Unemployment Insurance Benefits Intercept.
- Income Execution: The delinquent parent's wages or income is subject to a deduction for the payments owed; this is carried out through his or her employer. It may include a lump sum or monthly payments.
- Unemployment Insurance Benefits Intercept: The payments are automatically deducted from a delinquent parent's benefit checks.
Other ways child support arrears may be collected include the intercept of a delinquent parent's state or federal income tax refund. The arrears are then deducted out of this refund.
A delinquent parent may also be reported to credit bureaus for being in arrears which could cause problems obtaining future credit. Other penalties that can be applied to delinquent parents include:
- Driver's license or professional license suspension.
- Seizure of financial assets, including bank accounts.
- Liens filed against his or her real estate.
- Denial of passports or denial of passport renewal.
Have Questions About Arrears? Call Us Today!
Child support is a vital issue for children who will need the financial support of both parents to maintain a positive lifestyle. Our firm is committed to ensuring the health and safety of children, especially those who come from divorced families.
Contact us for a free, initial consultation so that we can help advise you on the best way to move forward with your child support matter.